Re: Upgrading mail/webserver with 512mb of ram

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 10:54 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:52:54 -0700
> Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You have plenty of RAM. If you are worried that F7 will encounter
> > problems with your graphics adapter you can run in text mode;
> > otherwise, go with the flow.
>
> It was my understanding that F7 requires 512mb of ram to do the necessary
> calculations when doing an upgrade.  I don't really want to have to do a
> complete "new install" on my web/mailserver, and it appears that I am just
> short of 512mb of free ram.  I'm wondering if that bit will matter

The install used to ask to mount the swap partition when lo-mem was
observed. At any rate, for a mailserver I'd back up everything necessary
to keep an intact setup no matter what, in case the upgrade goes berserk
on ya.

At that point you may as well install rather than upgrade... the install
will go much faster by a huge margin. Upgrade is doing the dependancy
thingie on everything and with lo-mem, it will be slower than molasses
using swap. If the upgrade fails you'll be doing a fresh install any
way. Plus, a fresh install clears out the cruft. An upgrade will just
compound all past sins. :) Ric