Re: Finally got around top putting F7 on my lappy & need a radio

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since part of this is F7 problems on the lappy, I've also copied this to
the fedora list.

>Gene Heskett schrieb:
>> On Saturday 02 June 2007, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
>>> Gene Heskett schrieb:

[snip]

>> This seems to have worked except I cannot get it to service DHCP requests
>> coming in over ath0, or then to allow a packet to go past even if I give it static addresses.
>
>the following steps are needed. turn the wireless interface you want to
>client mode

Since the lappy is the client, and the atheros card in the x86 dd-wrt box is the AP,
I've put that in the lappies /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 profile, then did
an ifdown wlan0;ifup wlan0, but it rejects that with:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8b06) :
	invalid argument "Client"
From the iwconfig man page:

mode Set the operating mode of the device, which depends on the network topology. The mode can be Ad-Hoc (network composed of only one cell and without Access Point), Managed (node connects to a network composed of many Access Points, with roaming), Master (the node is the synchronisa- tion master or acts as an Access Point), Repeater (the node forwards packets between other wireless nodes), Secondary (the node acts as a backup master/repeater), Monitor (the node is not associated with any cell and passively monitor all packets on the frequency) or Auto.
             Example :
                  iwconfig eth0 mode Managed
                  iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc

Not sure where you're setting mode to "client" but that's not a valid value. Managed tends to work unless you know what you're doing and you know why you need one of the other vales.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce