Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Philip Walden wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> There are several choices, I agree.
>>> (I am using one of them.)
>>> But this does not alter the fact that
>>> the decision to drop the CD installation set
>>> was completely incomprehensible, to me at least.
>>>
>>> You might as well put up a banner reading,
>>> "Don't install Fedora if you are a home user.
>>> Try Ubuntu instead."
>>>
>>> Surely the aim should be to make it as easy as possible
>>> for as many people as possible to install Fedora.
>>> It is not meant to be an obstacle race.
>>>

>> OK....maybe I'm an idiot (please don't ask my wife).
>>
>> But I just did the following....
>>
>> 1.  Downloaded Fedora-7-KDE-Live-i686.iso via bit torrent.
>> 2.  Burned the CD.
>> 3.  Booted from the CD.
>> 4.  When KDE came up I clicked on the large "Install to Disk" icon and
>> the
>> OS installed to HD.
>> 5.  Rebooted the system from HD.
>> 6.  Answered the questions in the "First Boot Dialog".
>> 7.  Logged in as the user created in #6 and then ran the package
>> manager to
>> add what I wanted that wasn't on the CD.  This downloaded the rest of the
>> packages from the net.
>> 8.  I'm done.
>>
>> AFAIK, this is *exactly* what Ubuntu does.
>>
>> So, what am I missing?
>>
> How would you do an upgrade from FC6 this way? I do not want to do a
> clean install?

I generally do clean installs since they are...well...cleaner.

But, one thing that has worked for me in the past was to do something along
the lines of....

1.  Download the DVD.
2.  Mount the DVD iso on a loop device.
3.  Go to the directory containing all the RPMs
4.  Run "rpm -Fvh *rpm".

There may be a few dependency issues to work around...and or some order
dependent stuff.  But it becomes fairly obvious.

--
"Experience has proved that some people indeed know everything."
-- Russell Baker