Re: Fedora 7 install: DISK failure consideration

On 6/2/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 3:35 PM -0700 6/2/07, Kam Leo wrote:
>On 6/2/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> At 2:30 PM -0700 6/2/07, Kam Leo wrote:
>> >... LVM rides on top of EXT3
>>
>> LVM has nothing at all to do with EXT3 or any other filesystem.  It does
>> not "ride on top of" anything other than DeviceMapper.
>
>Where did you get that little factoid? Here's where I got mine:
>
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html

You misunderstood it completely, and you're looking at the wrong page; the
correct page is
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-lvm2-intro-whatis.html>
.  That's because Fedora uses LVM2.  Or try the README that comes with
lvm2.  There's also a Wikipedia article on LVM.

Take a good look at Figure 8.10 at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-lvm-diskdruid-manual.html.
The underlying file system is ext3.

Here is another diagram so you can truly understand the structure behind LVM:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/anatomy.html.