Re: Somewhat OT: BItTorrent Documentation

At 07:16 PM 6/2/2007, Charles Curley wrote:

<CC>>>>>Take a look at aria (in extras). You can run it in a "screen" session ("yum info screen" for details).<<<<<

Good afternoon, Charles.

OK, I'll try that.

However, I can't do anything that requires an X session. So, if aria (whatever that is) is an X-Windows program, I won't be able to run it. I can run X applications remotely but it takes forever, and occasionally seems to cause my server to misbehave on other undefined ways (such as it did this morning while trying to run ktorrent). I don't want that to happen while I'm 1000 miles away and can't visit the co-location site to fix or reboot it. So, today I decided to restrict myself to console-mode text-mode applications until I get back.

To Kam Leo ... thanks for the pointers to the FAQ site. I have read through it and there was some helpful information, but not a lot... the bulk of the content seems to assume a level of knowledge that's a lot higher than I have.

Let me clarify exactly what I want to do. Using ktorrent, I can download the files in a torrent and, while and after downloading, ktorrent makes those files available to others according to the upload limits I have established. I don't need to do anything in the way of configuration other than changing a few variables in the ktorrent setup. Thereafter, whenever I start ktorrent, it will make the downloaded torrents available to others without any further intervention from me.

That's what I'd like to be able to do with the text-mode client(s). I don't have the time right now to figure out how to integrate bittorrent with Apache, or set up a full-blown tracker or seeder, even if I wanted to try to do that from 1000 miles away which I don't.

Is there a text-mode bittorrent client that will serve downloaded files while and after downloading, just like ktorrent and the Windows bittorrent client do, without having to integrate with apache or set up a tracker or any of the other magic complicated things that seem to be required?

I already have all the F7 files I need and I just want to Do The RIght Thing and give some of the services back to the community, not interested in running a long-term bittorrent server or taking a large block of time away from the time I have avaialble to set up and run F7.