Re: How to move desktop settings from FC6 to F7?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:12:09 +0200, Pavel Lisý wrote:

> Is there any recommended solution how to move desktop settings from FC6
> to F7.
>
> I am making new installation every time (with new Fedora) on new
> partition on my home PC. Making new desktop setup is not problem for me
> but my wife is really disappointed when she have to reset everything
> each half year.
>
> Is it now any known solution of this problem?
>
> Can I move setting of evolution, firefox and gnome desktop (preferred
> apps, removable media, keyboard shortcuts, ...)

You might want to reach for a bigger hammer. I'm no technoid, but a friend
who is walked me through the following; and so far, I'm very
well pleased with the results. (Both machines are running Fedora Core 6,
btw, and both are behind the same home router; my user name on both is
btth.)

Zeroth, what I should have done but didn't : as user on the older machine,
DELETE any old folders not wanted on the new. (I had been fooling around
with downloading and burning media for several live-CD distros. I ended up
twiddling my thumbs while the machines tarballed, transferred, and
untarred *six* *gigs* -- of which five were superfluous ISOs.)

Then, as root on the older machine, I did cd /home, then tar -czf
btth.tar.cz btth

Then, as root at /home on the new machine (on which I had already
installed but not configured all my usual apps)

scp -r x.y.z.q.k:/home/btth.tar.cz x.y.z.q.m:/home (where x.y.etc are the
addresses of the older and newer machines, respectively -- these will be
of the form 192.168.p.r, depending on your router)

Then, still as root at /home, chown -R btth:btth /home/btth

Then tar -xvzf btth.tar.cz

That's it. I now have not only my bookmarks (for seven browsers, not just
Opera), but all the details for my newsreader, my mailer, etc. -- where I
like, arranged as I'm used to.

You should be able to do the like, using your wife's userid and your own
IP addresses inside your LAN. It saves a *lot* of tweaking.

PS: I tried to post essentially this answer once, from a machine on which
Pan was having problems, and it doesn't seem to have arrived. My
apologies if essentially the same thing ends up appearing twice!

Fedora Core 6; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.119; Privoxy 3.0.3;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.16, Opera 9.02, Firefox 1.5