Re: cd writer missing after F7 upgrade

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is an easy one.  Frank.  Put in a data cd/audio
> cd in it and reboot.  Your other drive should be
> there! It is not the prettiest solution, but it has
> worked for me with Rawhide.

I wish it was that easy.  Unfortunately, it appears to be a bios issue of some
kind.

The default bios SATA setting of "enabled" worked fine with FC6; the computer
booted off of the hard drive and found the cdrom and everything.

However, the "enabled" setting doesn't work well with Fedora 7.  It gives me a
"ata1.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)" error message repeated three
times over the course of about two minutes immediately after the Red Hat Nash
line, before it continues to boot up normally.  The cdrom is not detected
after boot-up.

Changing the SATA setting to "legacy" gives me several choices.

1. SATA P0/P2, PATA detects the hard drive and the cdrom in the bios, but gives
me the above "ata1.00:failed" error just the same as the "enabled" setting.  It
also boots from the hard drive and works, but doesn't detect the cdrom after
boot-up.

2. SATA P1/P3,PATA won't boot at all and doesn't detect the cdrom in the bios.

3. PATA ONLY works just the same as #2 above.

4. SATAP0/P2,P1/P3 doesn't detect the cdrom in the bios but boots up from the
hard drive without the "ata1.00:failed" error.  It doesn't detect the cdrom
after boot-up either.

Another bios setting on the same screen, "IDE bus master", doesn't appear to
change anything if it's set to either enabled or disabled.  The default setting
is enabled.