can't mount ntfs drive with FC6

Hi,

I am trying to use by FC6 box to recover some data from a Windows XP NTFS
drive that is giving a SMART warning. It is under warranty so all I want is
to get the data off and send it in for replacement. The failing drive is a
SATA-II Samsung 2504C. I can boot the dud system from a Knoppix CD and mount
the drive and read most data. But I can't get it off, it is much too large to
ftp to a remote site in the time I have available.

I moved the drive to my FC6 box and rebooted. At startup time there are errors
that I don't understand in dmesg, "SStatus 123, SControl 300" and the drive
is not mounted. I have tried mounting it with ,

"# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sda1 -o force"

but get various helpful messages that seem not to be applicable.

Can anyone suggest an avenue of attack?

tia,

Dave