Re: OT: Requesting C advice

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:

[in regards to initializing statically allocated variables]

IIRC, it was mentioned in K&R v1.

My K&R1 is lost to history 8^(, but my H&S 3rd edition spent a lot of

So is mine :-(

space on the difference between "traditional" or "K&R" and ANSI compilers. In the section on default initialization the only static vars that were *not* required to be initialized in traditional compilers were unions. The note says that some traditional compilers would not permit such initializations. The ANSI requirement is that the union be initialized to the default for the first element.

The other note was that some traditional compilers would initialize a static float/double to all-bits-zero, even if that was not the representation of 0.0. That's not permitted in ANSI C.

Thank you for the clarification. Also not permitted in ANSI C
is the initialization of pointers to all-bits-zero if that
is not (one of the permitted) values of NULL.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.