Re: Improving the Internet (X - Re: I love IP Tables....)

Tim:
>>> If .com was *only* ever used for commerical use, and using .com was
>>> enforced for commercial use, and we had something else for personal
>>> use, we could blanket delete all .com originating mail, and still
>>> receive all our non .com mail from our personal friends.  ;-)

Bruno Wolff III:
> This really wouldn't work well. You can do the equivalent using a
> white list in any case.

You might have noticed my little disclaimer, originally.  ;-)

Blacklisting (which is what my suggestion was) has its problems.  Though
a clear use of com for commercial, would have made it very easy to avoid
all commercial mail, if you wanted to, and if it was possible to force
commercial users to use it.  The last "if" really being the nail in the
coffin for it.

Whitelisting has even worse problems.  It's very much a chicken and egg
situation when you want to get a message from someone for the first
time.  A lot of people don't actually know their e-mail addresses, and
can't tell you it, ahead of time (or do so incorrectly).  Various things
that you sign up for will send you a confirmation message, but don't
tell you what address they'll be sending from, and so on.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.