Re: r300 driver stability

Andras Simon writes:

On 5/31/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andras Simon wrote:
> I'm putting together a new box that is going to have Fedora 7 (x86_64
> if it matters) on it. The last remaining component I haven't made up
> my mind on is the video card. I don't need stellar 3D performance (a
> little hardware 3D acceleration would be nice though), but I'm very
> much concerned about stability. Having been bitten in the past by the
> proprietary NVidia drivers, this time I'm leaning towards the r300
> series of ATI cards, as they are supported by OS drivers. (Actually,
> I'd prefer one of the r200 series of cards, but I haven't found one
> with a PCIe interface.) But since the r300 driver is based on reverse
> engineering, I'm not sure if this is a safe choice. Could someone who
> uses it tell about his/her experiences, especially stability-wise?
>
> Andras

Have you considered Intel? I believe they provide the only vendor
supplied open drivers that support 3D.

It's too late for that. I already have the motherboard...

He meant Intel's video card, they don't make only CPUs:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945gnt/index.htm

This video card should be supported on Fedora 7 out of the box, with accelerated 3D. Ask on the fedora-users mailing list, it is monitored by Intel's employees; I'm pretty sure that it's good to go, but you should try to get a confirmation from the horse's mouth.

The above card is for the ATX form factor. There are other variations of this card for other form factors.