Re: I love IP Tables....

From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

jdow wrote:

And the first time a Fedora Core release is hacked Red Hat goes out of
business. Is this your goal? (Mind you, there are days when I have
uttered enough unkind words Fedora-wards that I'd applaud the concept.
Note, there are not as many such days as there are days I've felt the
urge to disembowel somebody on the Microsoft campus - which would be
too kind for some of them such as the doofus who invented "Clippy.")

Why? Did they produce software with a design flaw? Was the box
cracked because of software they wrote, because of software from an
upstream vendor, or because someone change the default configuration
to an insecure one? Did they know about a bug, and hide the fact,
trying for security by obscurity because it would be too hard to fix?

Did the company do more than simply tie the packages up in a pretty
box? If they modify the packages in any way they are the last ones in
line who could have mitigated the danger, other than the user.

{^_^}