Re: CentOS for newbie's desktop? [Was: Re: Fedora Core ... problem]

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 22:57 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2007-05-29, 18:55 GMT, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > [...], but I wish there were something that used the same
> > packaging and admin techniques that would make a usable desktop
>
> On that note. Couple of people asked me (or are going to ask me
> soon) to install Linux on their desktop. People who are computer
> savvy to some degree (or not that much savvy in one case -- but
> the lady has learned Red Hat first in times when it was still Red
> Hat, and then she got Windows with the new computer, and now she
> goes around and notalgically remembers about beautfy of that Red
> Hat icons which was welcoming her on login, and hates
> unfriendliness of Windows ;-) -- and she is really not computer
> geek; sorry, I digress).
>
> Being now a Red Hat employee, I would love to install them some
> Red Hat related distro, but I am not sure which one. Of course,
> they wouldn't like to shell out big bucks (especially considering
> CZK-USD exhange rate) on RH Desktop. However, I wouldn't feel
> happy to install them Fedora with 13 (or how many) months of
> guaranteed support. So, I was thinking lately about installing
> them CentOS as a desktop.
>
> Is it good idea? Does anybody have any experience with using
> CentOS on desktop, which is primarily used to do something else
> than developing Linux? Any other ideas?

Ubuntu seems to be the system of choice for many folk and the desktop
variants (kubuntu, etc.) are quite popular.

We use CentOS a lot (mostly for servers--in fact we use it to manage our
storage arrays at 70+TB of content), but the desktop stuff works fine as
well.  I've no complaints.

Since CentOS has a similar life span to RHEL, it's a reasonably safe
bet for "regular folk" use.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -