Re: Madwifi help needed

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 17:07:13 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dmadwifi -iath0
> > -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?
> >
> > Either way, I just got dozens of lines of 'Invalid ESSID line' messages.
>
> What is in your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf?  It sounds
> like some quoting in the file might be broken.  (Remember to edit the
> password, or chose another one once things are working.)

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
        ssid="Lydgate2"
        #psk="xxxxx"
        psk=abcd23bcfetc
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        # proto=WPA
        proto=RSN
}

> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Probably something very minor.  I've been running ath0 with
> wpa_supplicant and WPA2 since FC5 days.  If you edit the rc files to
> start wpa_supplicant before the networking you can even bring up ath0
> automatically at boot time. (Which is how I have things set up.)

Using chkconfig I've set NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatches on.  I've
set nm-applet to load at kde start.  It tells me that there is no network
connection.

I think that the card-attached antenna may be a problem, as it barely clears
the edge of the case.  Tomorrow I'll get an extender antenna and see if that
helps.

> The one caveat with wpa_supplicant is it doesn't behave well if more
> than one network choice is listed in wpa_supplicant.conf.  This is
> even if you give your preferred network a huge priority boost.  I
> found the only way to keep wpa_supplicant from periodically hunting
> (and freezing the net) is to have several wpa_supplicant.conf files
> with one choice each and to swap them if I ever want to latch onto a
> different network.

On that box it wouldn't matter, but I'm curious as to how that works on a
laptop where you may be accessing different networks.  Do you have to scan
then change your conf to the one to match what's found?  I presume that open
networks are no problem.

Anne