Subject: Cron <root@coyote> run-parts /etc/cron.daily
Date: Sunday 27 May 2007
From: Cron Daemon <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

/etc/cron.daily/bugzilla:

Can't connect to the database.
Error: Access denied for user 'mysql'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
This is the relevent part of the message.  It says it can't log in to the
mysql database.  It needs to log in to the mysql database.  It tried to use
a password but it did not work.  You should find out why.

1. There is no installed user 'mysql', or at least no home dir /home/mysql exists.

2. There is a password set for the user 'mysql' in the other default script, which I think its reading because the message changed a bit when I did set the password. I also changed the password to match in the /etc/passwd file using the passwd -u mysql command.

MySQL keeps its own database of users and their passwords (by default at least. I've never looked into whether that can be changed). Try reading up on mysqladmin which can change the MySQL users' passwords so that you can be certain you have the right password to log in with.