Re: DVD RW hardware recommendations

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 17:25:57 -0400,
  Max Pyziur <pyz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Am in the last phase of specing a Intel Core 2 Duo Box.
>
> I've used http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/ as a resource, but it seems
> that the recommendations which they make are no longer produced/marketed.
>
> Could someone recommend a DVD RW internal drive (and whether the '-', '+',
> or the '+/-' is preferred).

You can get them that do both without patying a lot extra, so I would suggest
getting one that does both other things being close.

Another important consideration is being able to flash the drive under linux
(unless you dual boot). Drive manufacturers release new firmware with info
about new media that is available to set optimal burn conditions. So you
will likely want to flash your drive sometimeduring its useful life and
being able to do that without needing windows is a big plus.