Epson printer problem recently emerged

I have an Epson CX-3200 that has worked fine for a couple of years (despite the
shadow printer problem reported in this list earlier that did not affect
operation). This is in FC6 up to date and with KDE as the desktop.

However after not printing for a week or so and noticing that there was a cups
update - I restarted cups after the update - but now the printer stops briefly
at various times during a print, and the printing is a lot slower overall than
before. I have redefined the printer, and also used the shadow printer - it is
the same. I even went to the trouble of yum installing the gutenprint ppds from
extras and changed the printer to use them - it is the same as it was -
frustrating - how can I get the printer to work normally (it always made lots of
noise and did stuff before a print came out - now it does all that and the print
takes a fair bit longer once it starts!

Does anyone know if this is a more general problem or am I just the unlucky one
with this printer being affected by recent updates?

Mike