Re: mail forwarding problem

On Friday 25 May 2007, zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So do I need to look at configuring sendmail? From what I've read on
> this list, that's not the easiest thing to do.

Postfix.sendmail is easier to configure, though I've never done it for use
with a company network.  Of course that means installing and configuring
postfix, but the config files are helpfully commented.

Basically you have to write a transport map file that tells it what to do with
local traffic and what to do with external messages.  On a home LAN it would
look something like

lydgate.net	smtp:[borg.lydgate.lan]
.lydgate.net	smtp:[borg.lydgate.lan]
*	smtp:[smtp.mailbox.co.uk]

That is, send local mail to the smtp server on the server box.  Send
everything else to my ISP's smtp server.

When you've discovered the names you need to put in there, you run 'postmap
transport', and you're away.

Finally you have to tell the system to use postfix.sendmail instead of
sendmail.  There's a small utility that helps here.  I can't remember
exactly, but it's something like mail-agent-switcher.  I'm sure someone will
give you the correct name.

Anne