Re: mail forwarding problem

zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

MailTo=SBlackwell

Just for a sanity check
$ whoami
SBlackwell
$ uname -n
mylocalmachine

<not really but just to show I checked that it matches the mail
message>>
but root keeps getting returned mail saying

<snip>

sblackwell
    (reason: 550 5.1.1 <sblackwell@mylocalmachine>... User unknown)
    (expanded from: sblackwell)

By default, e-mail addresses are converted to all lower case. You
will have problems with mixed or upper case user names and/or e-mail
addresses. It is possible to reconfigure your mail local mail server
to preserve the case, but it would be better to change your user
name to all lower case. (Mixed case user names break a bunch of
specifications...)
Hmmm... This is my work computer and everything else here is Windows
based, including the file servers that have shares I connect to and the
exchange e-mail server. I chose SBlackwell as my user name because that
is my assigned network name and I think I would have a bigger set of
problems if I used something else. I don't want to have problems in that
area and as a result, be forced to use Windows by corporate decree.

So do I need to look at configuring sendmail? From what I've read on
this list, that's not the easiest thing to do.

The quick fix is to add a line like:
sblackwell: SBlackwell
to your /etc/aliases file
and run newaliases or restart sendmail.

This will tell it to deliver mail addressed to sblackwell to the SBlackwell address instead. You may run into some other similar quirks later, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx