Re: Wireless networking question

Claude Jones wrote:
> This is not a strictly Fedora question, but, I hope someone with greater
> experience can give me a quick answer. My DSL pipe comes into my basement
> where my home office is located. I run the Westel Modem in bridge mode and
> have it connected to my Linksys wireless router which is connected by cables
> to my two Linux boxes, and which also broadcasts wirelessly my network to the
> rest of the house. All this works well. Upstairs, my wife has her office with
> two machines each connected wirelessly to the basement router through their
> own wireless nics. What I would prefer is to have the two upstairs computers
> connected to a hub, and some wireless device also connected to the same hub
> that would in turn connect to my basement wireless network. It seems like
> something lots of people would want to do, but I've been researching this for
> a couple of hours and I can't seem to find a device that will do this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction.
>
> The main reason I want this is that my wife is working with lots of very large
> audio/video files, and transferring them back and forth between her two
> computers - this could be greatly sped up if the computers were on a gigabit
> switch and had gigabit nics in each and could communicate with each other
> directly that way, instead of going through the much slower wireless
> connections...

Claude, I think what you are looking for is an "access point".  While
they are designed as a way to merge wired and wireless networks together
without being a broadband router, they can usually be configured as a
router over the wireless, or as a bridge over the wireless to connect
two remote wired networks together.  I was just looking at the Linksys
WWW site, and they have a few to look at under "Basic Networking".  If
you buy a giga-bit switch for your wife's computers, and hook the access
point into it as well, you might be able to get all of your IP addresses
 through the wired network to the access point to the wireless router.
At the very least, you should be able to run one subnet upstairs on the
gigabit switch with routing through the access point to the wireless
network.  You'll have to read up on the capabilities of each unit you
look at to get it right.

Good luck in your search.

--
Kevin J. Cummings