Re: OT: Requesting C advice

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 10:59 -0700, George Arseneault wrote:
> Hey All:
>
> Decided to get back into programing to get my mind out
> of the rut its in.  Got an old text book from a friend
> (C: step by step, printed 1990!) and did man gcc to
> find out about the compiler. Then, did info gcc to
> find something I could understand. Overall, it was
> easier then I thought it would be. I didn't have to
> use any of the options on gcc and kwrite with
> highlighting makes the source code much easier to
> read. (back in '85 it was WordStar and two different
> compilers to get the executable.)
>
> Now the bad news... C, C++, gnu, several variations on
> the ISO; not to mention all the libraries, etc.  And,
> to top it off, some of the stuff in the book just
> doesn't work.  (A program to demonstrate the various
> types of integer variables and how to display them
> with printf(), failed to show any difference with any
> arguments I could find.)
>
> What I'm looking for is any advice on where I can get
> this info.  Preferably free docs and how-to's, since I
> don't have the cash to buy any books. (Though, I could
> try the library's inter-branch loan program. My branch
> has no C books and nothing about computers less than
> 10 years old.)
>
> All help will be appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> George
Hi, George,
    FIrst integers are now 32 bit in most compilers, and long integers
are still 32 bit in most as well.  Thus what you saw is probably a
result of that.  C has changed a bit over the years, and while K&R is
still the basis of C, the ANSI standard is how Gnu is implemented (I
think).  I haven't used Gnu C yet either.  But the whole documentation
for ANSI C is on line, as is the full Gnu C. (look here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/ )  As for books, you might try your local
library.  Often they have older books (one about 2-3 years old would be
ANSI most likely) for a buck or so.  That is US.  But most countries
libraries have some form of recycling old books in this manner.  Also
look on Amazon for used volumes.  In good condition you can often find
one for 5-7 US.

    Finally, I have used lots of C books.  Most are OK, one of my
favorites is High-resolution Computer Graphics Using C by Ian O. Angell.
It's and older book, but lots of good code in it.  It is oriented toward
3d graphics.

    Deitel and Deitel have a pretty good course on C++, which I have
used for others, and Topics in C Programming from Wiley is good as well.
Others will have their favorites I am sure.  For number processing, the
time tested standard is Numerical Recipes in C.  Also MIT has put a lot
of their work on line.  That is a pretty good source.

    Another book that will take you into interesting places is called AI
and Expert Systems C Language.  And my two personal favorites that seem
to have grown legs: Programming Proverbs in C and the C Primer Plus.

    Another that grew legs was a reference I had on Make, it was one of
those Gnu reference books with the animals on the spine.  Can't remember
its exact title now and it is not here.

    And reading lots and lots of code.  You can differentiate good from
bad pretty quickly, especially if you try to implement many of the
projects.

regards,
Les H