Re: help with apache

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 09:54 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> I am sorry to post this here but I can't seem to get on the Apache's
> user mailing list.  I am having trouble getting apache to start.  The
> syntax is okay but I have some dns assignments through dyndns.com
> which I would like to use for Apache and I am having trouble with
> Apache starting these.  My config file httpd.conf will be attached.

You have two lines as follows:

  Listen 192.168.1.115:80
  Listen 80

The first causes Apache to only listen to port 80 from that IP address,
the second means to listen to port 80 on any address.  That's not
logical.

If you want Apache to respond to anything that connects, get rid of the
first line.  Otherwise, list all the interface addresses that you want
it to respond on, in the same manner as the first line.

You have the servername commented out:

  #ServerName http://www.pilotalk.dyndns.biz

That is fine, the server will respond to any queries not caring what
hostname is used.  But if you used URI re-writing rules, you might want
to uncomment that, and write it as:

ServerName www.pilotalk.dyndns.biz

However, www.pilotalk.dyndns.biz doesn't give an answer for a DNS query.
So, either you want to add a www record for your domain, or just use
pilotalk.dyndns.biz as the server name.

Personally, I'd recommend using the www prefixed one, and putting in URI
re-write rules so that any connections made to pilotalk.dyndns.biz are
re-written to www.pilotalk.dyndns.biz.  That gives you *one* address
that people will use for your website.  That's important for caching.
Having two addresses that respond, means you can get twice the traffic,
artificially.

If Apache has trouble resolving your domain name, it may cause a problem
when you try to start the server.  You'd want to make sure that Apache
can easily resolve your hostname, at all times.  That might mean
ensuring your internet connection is up before starting Apache.  I
wouldn't recommend putting an entry in your /etc/hosts file like:

 127.0.0.1 www.pilotalk.dyndns.biz pilotalk.dyndns.biz

As that can upset some of the scripts that are used to run the dynamic
IP address updating with the dyndyns type of services.

Everything else looked okay in the configuration file.

Next you'd look at things outside of Apache (firewall rules, and your
modem/router configuration).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.