Re: OT? power reqs of DDR2 chips

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 19:44, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Monday  May 21 2007 11:47:09 pm Dave Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you saying you want to know the power draw of the Kingston DDR2 2G
> > > reg/ECC chip and the folks and Kingston can't help you?
> > >
> > > Even if that is the case, isn't the power draw of any memory chip
> > > negligible when compared to the rest of the system to the point where
> > > it has no meaning?
> > >
> > > Are you trying to decide what kind of PS to buy?
> > >
> > > And, oh yes, it is OT.
> >
> > ok, Ed, it IS OT. The motherboard will take 64GB of RAM and two Opteron
> > Socket F CPUs. Kingston is closed over the weekend and holiday, so I
> > thought I'd query the list. The question really is how much power supply
> > do I buy if I anticipate loading the board right up over its lifetime.
>
> A case in point was the Sheriff of Harris County (Houston) Texas who was
> interviewed in Newsweek concerning the excessive force and brutality
> demonstrated by his police force. The reporter asked him why they all were
> outfitted with 45 Magnums? His reply, "...cause is it the biggest F***ing
> gun I could find."  This may apply in your case as well. :) Ric

indeed :-)

well it develops that 2 watts per gigabyte would be a conservative planning
value, so I guess 128 watts max for RAM then disk, cpu, video etc and UPS to
match. Thanks to all.

Dave

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral
philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for