Re: [Fedora] Re: Help with Samba

David G. Miller wrote:
How are you logging in on the Windows box?
Is that login also in /etc/smbpasswd on Server 2 or does Server 2 authenticate users some other way? If not your login gets mapped to Guest.
Err, it's a user with administrative access, no password. And no it's not in smbpasswd.

Does that login correspond to the user who owns the files and directories on Server 1? Even if your Windows login is recognized on Server 2, Server 1 wants access to be restricted to the user who owns the files in its /etc/passwd or however it authenticates users.
It does not correspond to anything. Those folder in /ftpusers/ are all owned by different users (on Server 1). But we need a way to put files in those folder from within our network (where we don't use user/password logins anyway. windows shares are all setup to allow guest access.)

Server 2 is going to restrict access to users it knows about unless you open up permissions which is a bad idea.
If this is only for internal use (and everything is blocked via firewall and iptables) and I have control over what happens where and by who, how bad can it really be?

I DO have to keep the permissions on /ftpusers/ on Server I because those are accessible by our clients, with their respective (unix) user/paswd logins. It's a public server that they ftp into. However, from there on, access to the internal network is heavily guarded.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130