Re: nVidia or software RAID 5?

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 22:19 -0700, Dawning Sky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building a new server with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, with
> comes with the nVidia MediaShield Raid support.  I'm wondering whether
> I should use this function and setup my array in the BIOS, or I should
> use the Linux software RAID and build the array directly from the
> drives.  Please advice.
>
> My setup:  1 300GB SATA drive as the system drive.  4 500GB SATA
> drives to build a RAID 5.  I also plan to further partition the RAID 5
> array, probably on top of LVM, to use as /home and some of /var.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DS

Give the fact the most (if not all) on-board SATA RAIDs are actually
glorified BIOS based software RAID solutions I see little reason not to
use software RAID.
Unlike the nVidia RAID, Linux' software RAID:
A. ... can use partition instead of full drives (In your case: 5x300GB
in RAID5/md0 and 4x200GB in RAID/md1)
B. ... can be moved to a different. Just connect the driver to a new
machine, no matter which SATA controller is being used, and it'll work
out of the box.
C. ... scales much better, as the CPU power increases.

- Gilboa