Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

On 5/21/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Suppose you were building a machine that more than one programmer
>> would use, along with typical office stuff...  What would you include
>> to keep them from wasting hours of time or calling you in the middle
>> of the night to install something they need.
>
> I would think any programmer that required outside help to install stuff
> that ordinary semi-competent users can manage to install without outside
> help is a hopelessly incompetent person to have as a programmer.

I take it you don't understand the concept of multiuser machines where
users don't have the root password.  You know - the environment unix was
designed for...

In the case of multi-user machines, if one particular user is a
programmer and another something else, accountant, designer (or
whatever) then their *administrators* should accommodate that. If
administrators do not know how to support what their users require
then no "Install Everything" button can help them.

As for the original comment, it seemed clear (to me) that Tim was
referring to someone who installed Linux on their own for software
development.

-Mauriat