Re: (fedora) Re: ntpd error

Lux Zhang wrote on Mon, May 21 2007 at 16:48 (+1000):

> This problem seems testing with ip lookup. I got ip addresses of
> 0.pool.ntp.org  from another cable network (dig 0.pool.ntp.org). After add
> one of ip addresses of 0.pool.ntp.org to /etc/hosts.  the ntpd server was
> contacted and time sync -ed. I guess this has something to do with
> ISP.

This will render the whole point of the NTP pool machines useless.

The NTP pool was established to reduce the burden of providing NTP
services from single machines.  Using IP addresses instead of the
domain name underruns the efforts of load balancing NTP requests and
disturbs the whole NTP net if done on a wide basis.  Furthermore,
please note that most NTP service providers require you to ask for
permission if you want to use their servers (directly).

Ask your ISP, maybe they already provide an NTP service (and therefore
may block requests to other NTP services).

If 0.pool.ntp.org does not work for you, maybe a more specialized pool
works for you: http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
shows the list of the six contintent-wide pools, At
http://www.pool.ntp.org/ shows country-wide pools for the
continent-wide polls (box at the right).

If this still does not work for you, you can pick one of the servers
that http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers lists and
which have an OpenAccess policy
(http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/OpenAccess, also mentions not to
use IP addresses) and don't need to be notified
( http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers?sortcol=3;table=1;up=0#sorted_table )

hth,

Andreas.

--