Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

I am acutely aware that F7, like most distros, is free, and believe me
nobody appreciates the hard work that the Fedora people do more than
me.  Having said that, I have to wonder if the installer shouldn't be smart
enough to guard the user against these kinds of "either/or" conflicts...
and I have to further wonder if Linux will ever gain the mainstream
acceptance its adherents so devoutly wish for, if it is so easy to wedge an
installation by simply selecting too many things.

I can certainly understand that there will be certain things (drivers and
modules) that should not or cannot be run concurrently, and one would
expect whatever applications that need the drivers and modules to load them
and not any others.  I have trouble understanding why the very fact that
some conflicting thing is present on the disk is enough to cause a
conflict, even if it doesn't get loaded.  I suppose there could be some
modules with overloaded function names so that an application ends up
calling the wrong module function, and all I can say is "don't do that...".
Please remember that not all these free developers work on the same timeline.  Thus packages may not be built with the latest libraries.
Also some packages just conflict in their support for other applications, such as KDE and Gnome, although most such problems are being ironed out, the issue is
that software is a relatively new science, and linux is the newest of the new.  Thus many bugs exist that are difficult to find and isolate for repair, the interactions with
drivers and hardware are difficult to always predict, and the effects of sequences of commands on interfaces often puts their state machines into states that were never forseen by their developers.  These problems have to be found, isolated and fixed without impacting working software and hardware.  It is not trivial.  Imagine a skyscraper with a bad beam on the 6th floor.  How is that beam removed, replaced and the structure and spaces patched without impacting other residents of the skyscraper,  or effecting the total structure that is the skyscraper.  Bear in mind that the new beam cannot violate either brittleness, stiffness, expansion or contraction with the beam being replaced, nor be mismatched to the remaining structure.
This is the process of bug fixes.  Now imagine that you are doing this just for the challenge of doing it.  That is Fedora and Linux in general.  Some folks get paid, but many don't .

Regards,
Les H