Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:45:29 -0400
Eric <spamsink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the very first things I do with any new installation is click on
> System->Services and de-select everything I don't need... from both
> Runlevel 5 and Runlevel 3, the latter being because I also often edit
> /etc/inittab to tell it to start up in text mode rather than X mode (then I
> can run startx when I want to).

Yea, in fact I keep thinking about writing a script to do what I do
manually - run chkconfig --list, grep for everything that says ':on',
then do an rpm -q -i -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/service and read the description
of what the heck this silly service is all about. That gives me
a chance to clobber all the stuff I don't use like ISDN, bluetooth,
Chinese input methods, etc. by running chkconfig --levels to turn
it off.

Then I have the much smaller and simpler task of turning on the services
I want that are off by default (basically just the reverse of the 1st pass
through chkconfig).