Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 12:55 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2007-05-15, 16:45 GMT, William Case wrote:
> > I use Fedora because I like the thought that it is cutting
> > edge, etc. What I would like to know is: Are the contributions
> > of users to fixing Fedora picked up by other distributions
> > and/or up the line for applications?
>
> Whatever other people think about Red Hat being a corporate
> behemot, I can testify, that in a Red Hat training I heard on my
> ears high-level engineering people to stress repeatedly and very
> forcefully, that any patch we make and solution we find for
> a bug, should be immediately send upstream. Which I think is one
> of the things which differentiates us against many other Linux
> distributions. That's not bashing of Ubuntu and/or SuSE -- they
> have their reasons for being what they are, just that I can
> confirm that even inside Red Hat there is strong official stress
> on upstreaming everything reasonable.

That was the way it was back in the Bob Young days. He and Donnie Barnes
stressed that in their corporate strategy. Thankfully the legacy
continues. Whatever happened to the "RedHat Ready" certification program
for hardware, back in 2000? When you saw the sticker, you knew the gizmo
would work out of the box. Maybe a hardware list, like "Fedora Ready"
would be a good thing? Ric