Re: Fedora and Qwest

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:14:32 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> One thing to be careful about is that you use the same NIC for all
>> the tests. Just about every Cable/DSL modem I have run into will
>> "remember" the first NIC it gave the DHCP lease to, and will not
>> give one to a different NIC unless you power-cycle it.
>
> Now that is most interesting, as he has a computer with Windows XP on it and
> another with Fedora Core 6 and a router on it (the one that I just set up).

If you can "clone" the MAC address of the XP machine, you will
probably be able to have DHCP work on the Linux machine. (The
MACADDR= option should work for this.) This is why most of the
"home" firewall/routers have some type of set or clone MAC address
option. If you are configuring the firewall/router from the same PC
as you configured the modem, all it takes is one click to clone the
MAC address the modem is expecting.

Mikkel