Re: HAL is adding extra printers to my printer list. It's driving me nuts.

Hi;

Just adding some additional printing exploits, in case anybody is
interested.

On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 00:50 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;  with particular attention to Tim Waugh,
>
> This was a sub-problem I had with my printer problem a week or two ago.
> Tim asked if I would work with him on fixing it.  At that time I had got
> my printer working and removed the extra (shadow) printer and so
> couldn't be of much help.
>
> The shadow has returned.
>
> More precisely: psc_1310_series_
> Device URI [hp:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN45PB613FO2] has been added
> to my list of printers by HAL, or something, at boot up.
>
> My originally designated and still existing printer is:
> psc-1315
> Device URI [usb://hp/psc%201310%20series?serial=CN45PB613FO2]
> marked also as default.  When selected in applications this actually
> prints things.

psc-1315 no longer prints.  All the printing (as of this Monday morning)
can now only be done through psc_1310_series_.  I tested several
applications and the print test page before posting.  Why?  Saturday
psc_1310_series_ wouldn't print anything.

No new downloads; no reboots since the original post.  Isn't
"psc_1310_series_" and "psc_1315" just a name or alias for the same
printer.  Why is HAL using Device URI
[hp:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN45PB613FO2]
while Fedora printer-config gui uses Device URI
[usb://hp/psc%201310%20series?serial=CN45PB613FO2]?

And, is that the difference?  Why would things change?  Household
gnomes??

I thought we had gotten rid of the HAL reconfiguring the printer over a
month or two ago??

--
Regards Bill