Moving "/" what are the chances of this working?

I have just run out of space on a 10GB root file system for Fedora6
(my /home and /usr/local are on separate partitions).

I have decided that in the future I will allocate 20GB partitions
for Fedura (sigh)... I can remember when it fit in 5GB,
HELL I can remember when all of UNIX fit on a 5MB disk on a
PDP-11...

OK, so here is my question.
I have a unused 10GB partition just ahead and just behind the
Fedora6 partition.  But I know of no Partition-Magic like process
that could combine them.  IS THERE ANYTHING I dont know
about????

2nd choice.
I have a couple of 10GB partitions elsewhere on the disk (that I
was saving for updates to Fedora).  I am willing to combine them,
giving a 20GB partition.  If I were to do that, format the new partition,
and then tar->tar the current Fedora partition into the new partition,
what are the chances that I will be able to BOOT the new partition???

ANYTHING you can suggest to get either of these schemes to go.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@xxxxxxx