Re: dovecot and encfs problems - solution

On Sunday 13 May 2007 09:08:57 pm Mail List wrote:

>    Anyone know if dovecot can work on an fuse-encfs filesystem for its
> ~/Maildir directory?

     I think I have found a (probably ok) solution - one must do 2 things.

       a) edit /etc/dovecot.conf and set :
           mmap_disable = yes

       b) when creating the encfs one should ensure that external IV chaining
is off as this does not support hard links. You can do this by either
choosing standard (not paranoid) or expert mode and say no to this option.

      So far I have one corrupted log file message - but this may be due to
previous problems as I did not start with with fresh Maildir folder.

      It is, however, noticeably slower even with 160 bit blowfish. But that
is the penalty for security ... all being well I can use any mail client with
locally stored email and have it securely encrypted in case laptop is ever
lost.

     I'll report back if i encounter further trouble.

g/