Re: udev won't rename eth1 in fc6

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
sean wrote:
Tried:
KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:a0:24:54:28:cb", NAME="lan",
OPTIONS="last_rule"

udevmonitor after modprobe 3c59x gave:

UEVENT[1179076823.191741] add@/module/3c59x
UEVENT[1179076823.199782] add@/bus/pci/drivers/3c59x
UEVENT[1179076823.236176] add@/class/net/eth1

Note that w/out last_rule udev thinks it's creating /class/net lan.  So
this looks bad, but it actually does create /class/net/lan!!

ls
eth0  lan  lo  ppp0  sit0

which worked! That is setting up ifcfg-lan caused ifup lan to work and
show up in ifconfig as "lan" interface.

udevmonitor showed on rmmod:

UEVENT[1179077431.405204] remove@/class/net/lan
UEVENT[1179077431.413955] remove@/bus/pci/drivers/3c59x
UEVENT[1179077431.421534] remove@/module/3c59x
UDEV  [1179077431.442336] remove@/class/net/lan

But what I really wanted to do was create a symlink, so I tried:

KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:a0:24:54:28:cb", SYMLINK+="lan",
OPTIONS="last_rule"

This failed. Only eth1 was created.

Also tried
KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:a0:24:54:28:cb", NAME=eth1,
SYMLINK+="lan", OPTIONS="last_rule"

which didn't help.

So progress. Any further suggestions?

sean

If you want to create a symlink, instead of a name, then you need to
change the name of your rule file so it is processed after
60-net.rules, instead of before. I am not sure that it will work, as
I have not used udev to create symlinks to network devices, but your
rules will have to be processed after the rules that create the
network device in order to have a chance at working.

It might be better to tell us why you want to create a symlink to a
network device, as there may be a better way to do what you want,
and reasons why udev will not do what you are after.

Mikkel

I've got a remote machine that I'm upgrading from fc5 to fc6. I've done the upgrade, but 2.6.20 switches the order of the network cards. This is a real problem because the machine a long way away, and I administer it by ssh over the net.

I was able to talk one of the admins how to make grub boot 2.6.17, so I'm able to connect.

I've been playing with the internal interface to figure out how to create persistent names for the network cards. I wanted to create a symlink for the internet ( external ) interface so that if all goes wrong, I can again talk an admin into getting me back on.

In any event, I did put my rule as 99. Same result. It seems that you can't create a symlink for an interface. I guess it's not part of the file metaphor, since it's a socket.

So lets hope it works, or I'll be talking with an admin for hours tomorrow.

sean