Re: OT: hardware problems

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 00:52 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 10:38 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I have an HP PSC 1510 All-In-One. It's worked just fine until a week
> > ago. Then it wouldn't scan and I got all aggravated. After re-booting,
> > using smart to check all of my installed rpms and pouring over the
> > docs with terminal windows opened all over the desktop, when I opened
> > the lid and re-positioned the document, it lit up and scanned.
> >
> > Opening the damn lid to the scanner. Who would have thought? :) Ric
>
> Faulty lids and covers are the bane of any serviceman.  We've all
> encountered some device that needs the cover taking off and replacing,
> or taking off and leaving it off, to make the device work.  Often for no
> good reason.
>
> It's right up their with equipment that has one too many, or one too few
> screws.  The second being more of a worry, wondering where it fell, or
> what you put one into that doesn't own one.
>
> If Microsoft built a car, you'd have to drive it with the bonnet
> unfastened.

In this case it was just the lid that you normally open, hinged on the
long side, like a xerox machine. The scanner part is atop the printer.
When I opened it and moved the document a tad, it fired right up. I had
the document in place already when I fired up openoffice writer so I
thought it would scan.

Oh Heck no, it expects the sequence:

-start Open Office writer
-open the lid and place document
-close lid
-mouseclick on "insert - picture - scan - select source"
... then it's happy. Who would ever guess? I remain amazed at it all.

<chuckles> Ric