Re: Sound Quality Problem

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 18:39 +0800, Guo Lin wrote:
> I play the same mp3 on my FC6 and WinXP on the same PC using the same
> speakers. But they sounds really different. I find the music turns
> crappy in FC6. I use default settings for the equalizers/mixers etc.
> For acapella music, it does not sound too differently between that in
> FC6 and WinXP. The 'crappiness' of the music is more significant when
> the drums, bass, etc come in the music. The music sounds like it is
> played on old bad speakers.
>
> I just found out that when I play the mp3 in mpg321 in terminal, it
> sounds as good as it is played in Windows. But when the same song is
> played using other players, they sound much worse than that.

That sounds like it could just be down to whatever MP3 decoder is in
use.  I'd always thought MP3s sounded rather awful, the bass being just
one aspect that did.  Better encoding, in the first place, helps.  But
what you use for decoding is just as important.

I don't have mpg123, but if you also list one or two of the other
players, you might find someone with all of them who can say if they
notice a difference, too.

The other thing that springs to mind is, if other compressed (e.g. ogg)
or non-compressed (e.g. wav) file formats sound okay, that puts the MP3
decoder squarely in the picture for being the problem, rather than the
sound card or its drivers.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.