Discussion about: "99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi"

Hello,

Why did i posted this it in this list
I actually don`t know if this should be posted in the Fedora list or
the Fedora devel list.. to mee it seems to fit both but i don`t want
to post 1 message on 2 lists so i posted it here.

i`m a big fedora user and  know my way in it, however i don`t like
the policy described in the subject.and i want to know how other
people think about this policy. I have talked about this policy earlier
on the lists here and i got the comments that this issue was closed
and that i needed to start a discussion about it if i wanted to change
something in this policy (or even completely remove it). It has been
a while since then (that was with FC7 test 1) and i still didn't started
the discussion so i open this thread now.

The reason i start this discussion
Other linux based distributions (if not all) are having the nice feature that
all partitions that it finds will be mounted. That is user friendly and that`s
what i want to have. I don`t know for sure but i thought fedora had this
feature aswell a few releases ago (FC4? FC5? not FC6). Some fedora people
explained me why this feature isn`t in.. there reason was/is:
"Imagine that you have a windows partition.. you don`t want all users to get
on that partition or to just grab the sam file and decrypt your personal
passwords.. that`s one of the reasons why we don`t have the feature in"..
well.. he/she didn`t exactly said it like that but that`s how i understood it.
Now i have a issue with that. i (and ALOT other linux users if not the majority)
is running linux on his own PC meaning that he IS the administrator so if he
wants to decrypt his/her sam file it`s decrypting his own passwords.. but
that`s just to continue the reason i got from one of the redhat people. Now
another reason why i want to have this feature back in. Firstly i`m a
administrator on my own computer and i`m lazy when it ccomes to mounting
discs. it`s not a mather of discs that can`t be mounted because they can in
ubuntu. and when i complete my installation (fedora) i want to be able to get
on my other hard drives (whatever filesystem they use). linux can do it and i
want it. it`s easy and it`s user friendly (that`s what fedora wants right?).
Another thing is that i really DON`T like it to keep adjusting that damn
"99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi" file everytime the policy`s get an
update.. and i can`t really turn it off. the only thing i need to do in that file is
change a value from "true" to "false" and that`s it for that file.. than i need
to add the partitions i want to mount in inittab (not a fun thing to do) before i
can finally see them (not that mount -a and a restart on nautilus is also required).

But i also understand the reason that the redhat people gave me.. so i would
like to propose a "on/off" switch for this. give administrators the option to turn
this stuff on or off without the need to find out where the hell those partitions
are hidden this time.. with FC7 it`s in /dev/sd# and with other linux distributions
it`s /dev/hd# or something else.

don`t get me wrong.. i like fedora and i like the rpm based system (otherwise i
would have used ubuntu) but i just don`t like this decision about this policy..
so please change it or add a switch.. it can`t be that much work.. i think it was
even more work to turn this stuff OFF than to turn it back on. or just tell me of a
solution how i can get my partition to mount automatically without the need of
editing files all the time.

Your thoughts
The above stuff was just what i think of it.. now the question..

What do you think of this 99 policy thing and the missing automount for all found partitions?
post it here if you want.

I hope to see some responses on this. specially from Fedora developers and team members
Thanx for reading
Mark.