Re: How to mount floppy?

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

How it works... man fstab

anyway

/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    defaults,noauto 0 0

NODE  MOUNT_POINT  FS_TYPE  MOUNT_OPTIONS[,...]  DUMP_OFTEN  FSCK_ORDER

NODE:		device node to mount
MOUNT_POINT:	empty directory to mount over
FS_TYPE:	file system type, or "auto" to guess
MOUNT_OPTIONS:	options passed to the mount command at mount time
		these are FS_TYPE dependent to a degree
		this is a comma-separated list (no spaces!)
		"noauto" here means "don't automatically mount
			upon boot"
DUMP_OFTEN:	tells dump whether this fs needs to be dumped
FSCK_ORDER:	tells fsck which fsck pass to use for checks during boot

For the options in the fourth field, do man mount. If you use "auto" for
FS_TYPE on an MSDOS formatted floppy, you'll get vfat, which is
FAT12+LFNs (Long File Names) in this case. I prefer not to use vfat,
since I use floppies for transfer with MSDOS machines, which don't
understand LFNs. The last two fields may be omitted, I believe, if they
are to be 0, which they should be for floppies. You don't want
automatically to run fsck on your floppy when you boot, for example.

I explain the "auto" and "noauto" since they might seem to be in
conflict. :-)

I will try as you suggest for the stab entry, I need to research those term and find out what I'm doing with them.

Anyway the immediate problem is solved.

Thanks to you and Mike McCarty.

Sorry if I was sketchy with info but I thought I had done everything required, just needed to tell mount where to put it.

Welcome

HTH

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.