Re: Can someone give me a really WORKING yum.conf?

Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Stuart Sears <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Deboo ^ wrote:
>> > It's been since FC2 that I have tried to use yum but always failed
>> > whatever and however many replies I have got from this list and tried
>> > all.
>>
>> 1. humour me and define "doesn't work."
>> I haven't followed the previous threads on this.
> Doesn't work means no output, no errors.

oops. that's very weird.

>> 2. which fedora version are you running now?
>> FC6?
>
> FC5 now.
ah, I see from your last post that it is actually FC4 (quite old now)
The FC4 package you would need is...
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-4-2.noarch.rpm

it might still work... (FC4 is getting on a bit now)

>> Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX LP DAT PDQ SCART STFU
>
> Can you tell me if RedHat cert is bette ror LPI? Tho one is practical
> and other just theory. Can you detail a bit on RHCE/RHCA? I understand
> that book reading is of no help in RH certs since it's a hands on one.

Bear in mind that I am biased... (I am a Red Hat instructor/examiner -
that's what the RHCX stands for) and I haven't done the LPI.

You may be better staring a different thread and asking others for their
experiences, if you want a "neutral" point of view.
There will be many here who have sat some of our courses and/or the LPI.

The different RH certifications are approximately as follows.
disclaimer:
I work for Red Hat, I do not speak for them in any official capacity.
All of this is my wording and not necessarily accurate.
Proper "official" descriptions and summaries on the redhat.com website
in the "training" section -
http://www.redhat.com/training

RHCT/RHCE/RHCA/RHCSS involve practical examinations and cover skillsets
approximately as follows:

RHCT - local systems administration

RHCE - local sysadmin + configuring & securing common network services

RHCA - Red Hat Certified Architect:
5 extra courses/examinations, covering clustering, network service
security, authentication, deployment, virtualisation, performance tuning
(and a lot more)

RHCSS - the security elements of RHCA, plus SELinux.

The courses are in general, fairly redhat-specific, so we wouldn't cover
tools and applications that we don't ship and if there is a Red Hat
product that provides a particular functionality, it is likely that we
would use it on the courses.
They all run on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I believe LPI is still multiple-choice (please feel free to correct me,
as I explained, I haven't done it!).
LPI is, of course, vendor-neutral, so would cover a lot of topics that
Red Hat courses wouldn't - different packaging systems and configuration
tools etc.

Regards

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX LP DAT PDQ SCART STFU