Re: Installing ATI drivers

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 07:16 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Intel announced here a new
> release of their free drivers, which will be merged into Mesa and Xorg, that
> support their brand new video chipset.

Actually, this should all be past-tense. Support for the new hardware
was merged into the upstream X.org and Mesa projects about a month
before the hardware became available. The earlier the code lands in the
upstream projects, the earlier it can appear in distributions. Fedora
Rawhide already includes drivers that support this new hardware.

We're trying to get to the point where main OS distributions can be
shipping support for our hardware when it is released. It's nice when
support eventually appears for hardware, but making it possible for
people to go get the newest hardware and have their favorite
distribution 'just work' is what we are striving for.

--
keith.packard@xxxxxxxxx