Re: gsynaptics

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

   Dear friends,

I installed gsynaptics on my Dell Latitude D820 laptop running
Fedora 7 Test 4 because I was advised this would help with phantom
mouse clicks. When I try to run gsynaptics, a dialog says

GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics

At the same time, the console says:

(gsynaptics:7460): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

I have no XF86Config file, but I have /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but adding
above entry does not seem to help.

Where did you put it?

My touchpad section is:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

You'll need to restart X (log out and back in) after making the change.

What should I do? And what exactly is gsynaptics supposed to do?

It's a config tool for Synaptics touchpads, also menu accessible as System -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Touchpad. Among other things, it allows you to turn off tapping.

If you like tapping, but not accidental tapping, you might look at syndaemon (in the synaptics RPM).

Thanks!

   Take care
   Oliver

--