Re: Re-install Fedora Core 6

Darren Foster wrote:
Hi All,

My grub is truelly knackered and I cant reinstall it for love nor
money.

There are several ways to get grub to install. One method is grub-install /dev/<hard-diskID>

The other method is using the grub interactive shell. Read up on grub and then start grub and run the needed commands.

So I am almost resigned to the fact that my information will be lost
for ever.

If you can see it via rescue mode, the data is there. Getting your system back up to a booting condition is your main goal.

I know that my files are safe because I can access them through the rescue disc.

I guess you hit the snooze button for ten more minutes.

Anyone know how I can recover my evolution emails? I don’t know what
 command to use from the command line? Im new honest J

No idea. However, you probably want to get the GUI back up and running.

Also can I reinstall fedora but keep my home directory intact. There
are some very important files that I need to keep in there or recover
at best. I have tried accessing them through knoppix but can get
access to them through that. But can see them through the command
line using the rescue disc.

If you used the default installer selection for disk partitioning, you will have a /boot partition on a primary partition and an LVM containing your swap and / partition. It sounds like Knoppix is not seeing the LVM.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you have another hard disk or a USB device which could store your important files, you might be able to move your /home data over to a conventional partition. This should be possible in rescue mode to create partitions on another hard disk, format the filesystem and transfer the files over to the other drive. Of course the subject has a lot of familiarizing with tools in Linux to get back your data.

Jim

Best regards,

Darren

--
If you live in a country run by committee, be on the committee.
		-- Graham Summer