Re: How to burn Fedora DVDs to avoid readahead bug?

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Andre Robatino wrote:
  I believe that most mediacheck failures are caused by the readahead
bug (although years ago I found that Memorex CDs were so crappy that
they would literally sometimes go from pass to fail in about 15 hours
after burning).

Memorex did go through a bqad patch, which I understand was due to the fact that they used more than one supplier, of which at least one had less-than-adequate quality control. I don't think there is a problem now.

I know that some drives (either DVD or CD) are vulnerable and some aren't.

Not all older drive support burn-free, which could be one factor.
I haven't seen any clear correlation between age and vulnerability. Old Samsung SCR-2432 and SCR-3232 CD drives from 8-year old boxes aren't vulnerable.
Another thing to consider. I was told by Lite-On technical support people that DVD+R disks are more forgiving than DVD-R. I have certainly had fewer problems on my stand-alone recorder since changing to +R.
I've seen technical articles (which I don't fully understand) explaining the many reliability advantages of the plus format over the minus. I always use plus. It's no more expensive anyway.
Whether the DVD is RW or just R may also matter - as mentioned before I had the problem burning to a DVD+RW using
growisofs (and I have enough experience with the media in question to
know that its stability wasn't the problem).  But burning to a DVD+R
with growisofs seemed to work ok (though it could just have been luck).
When F7 comes out I'll try growisofs with the DVD+R and cross my
fingers.  If that doesn't work I'll try finding a newer version of
cdrecord and see if that works.  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone
out there can currently burn DVDs using the version of cdrecord in
either FC6 or F7t4, and whether or not it spews error messages.

Yes, I've burned many DVDs under FC6.  I use K3B, and have no problem at all.

Anne
But what about command-line cdrecord? K3B and other graphical tools all probably choose automatically between cdrecord and growisofs, and I'm guessing that with DVDs they always use growisofs.