Re: How to burn Fedora DVDs to avoid readahead bug?

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 09:33 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
All of my FC DVDs have been written with:

        growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/dvd.iso

with nary a glitch (no need for read ahead padding, nada).  Burned on
multiple machines with different DVD writers, readers, etc.

Same here, along with right-clicking on an ISO in Nautilus, and burning
from there.  Worked fine, including the media check.  I'm using Verbatim
DVD+R discs.  I've found their discs to be the best that I can buy,
here.  Much of the discs in the local shops are utter crap.  And + discs
are supposed to have some advantages over - ones, though that does
depend on the drive making using of the features.

I believe that most mediacheck failures are caused by the readahead bug (although years ago I found that Memorex CDs were so crappy that they would literally sometimes go from pass to fail in about 15 hours after burning). I know that some drives (either DVD or CD) are vulnerable and some aren't. Whether the DVD is RW or just R may also matter - as mentioned before I had the problem burning to a DVD+RW using growisofs (and I have enough experience with the media in question to know that its stability wasn't the problem). But burning to a DVD+R with growisofs seemed to work ok (though it could just have been luck). When F7 comes out I'll try growisofs with the DVD+R and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work I'll try finding a newer version of cdrecord and see if that works. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone out there can currently burn DVDs using the version of cdrecord in either FC6 or F7t4, and whether or not it spews error messages.