Re: Apache (httpd) / php5_module quandary ??

At 1:32 PM -0400 5/8/07, William Case wrote:
>Hi;
>
>Problem:
>        I missed a meeting and found myself volunteered to help maintain
>        my local LUG web site.  I have previously done very little work
>        with web sites.  We use SVN and a combination of HTML/PHP.  My
>        browser reads the existing web site perfectly.  However, when I
>        turn my browser on the LUGrepo on my machine (http://case/lug/;
>        linked from /var/www/html/lug; case = localhost ) one particular
>        web page element fails to show correctly.  I mention all this in
>        case the advice I got from LUG members is wrong.
>
>        Some LUG members suggested that my php5_mod had not been
>        installed.  So I set about installing it.
>
>Proposed Solution:
>        I found '/usr/lib/httpd/modules/libphp5.so'; found
>        '/etc/httpd/modules/libphp5.so'; found '/etc/httpd/conf'.
>        '/conf' contains no mention of libphp5.so'.  So far so good.
>        Now ...
>
>        http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php says the
>        following:
>        "14. Edit your httpd.conf to load the PHP module.  The path on
>        the right hand
>            side of the LoadModule statement must point to the path of the PHP
>            module on your system.  The make install from above may have
>already
>            added this for you, but be sure to check.
>                  For PHP 5:
>
>              LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
>
>        15. Tell Apache to parse certain extensions as PHP.  For example,
>            let's have Apache parse the .php extension as PHP.  You could
>            have any extension(s) parse as PHP by simply adding more, with
>            each separated by a space.  We'll add .phtml to demonstrate.
>
>              AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml
>
>            It's also common to setup the .phps extension to show
>highlighted PHP
>            source, this can be done with:
>
>              AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
>
>        16. Use your normal procedure for starting the Apache server, e.g.:
>
>              /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
>
>Quandary:
>        However, in several places in different manuals and help text, I
>        am given the warning that if I add a module to conf by hand I
>        can no longer use my HTTP Configuration gui.  Nor are the 'help'
>        or other manuals clear on how I am to enter the module in the
>        gui (under which tab) or where to put the code in /httpd/conf if
>        I do it by hand.  Should I add points 15. & 16. above?  If so,
>        where?
>
>Or, do I have the whole thing mixed up and wrong?

Find out where you stand.  Make a file:

    # echo "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" >/var/www/html/phpinfo.php

View it in your browser:

    <http://case/phpinfo.php>

If it works, it has lots of good info including the PHP version.  I see
from another response that you appear to have PHP installed, but you might
do a "rpm -q php" just to be sure.  The php RPM installs a file
/etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf that loads the PHP module
/usr/lib/httpd/modules/libphp?.so without requiring changes
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.