Apache (httpd) / php5_module quandary ??

Hi;

Problem:
        I missed a meeting and found myself volunteered to help maintain
        my local LUG web site.  I have previously done very little work
        with web sites.  We use SVN and a combination of HTML/PHP.  My
        browser reads the existing web site perfectly.  However, when I
        turn my browser on the LUGrepo on my machine (http://case/lug/;
        linked from /var/www/html/lug; case = localhost ) one particular
        web page element fails to show correctly.  I mention all this in
        case the advice I got from LUG members is wrong.

        Some LUG members suggested that my php5_mod had not been
        installed.  So I set about installing it.

Proposed Solution:
        I found '/usr/lib/httpd/modules/libphp5.so'; found
        '/etc/httpd/modules/libphp5.so'; found '/etc/httpd/conf'.
        '/conf' contains no mention of libphp5.so'.  So far so good.
        Now ...

        http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php says the
        following:
        "14. Edit your httpd.conf to load the PHP module.  The path on
        the right hand
            side of the LoadModule statement must point to the path of the PHP
            module on your system.  The make install from above may have already
            added this for you, but be sure to check.
                  For PHP 5:

              LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so

        15. Tell Apache to parse certain extensions as PHP.  For example,
            let's have Apache parse the .php extension as PHP.  You could
            have any extension(s) parse as PHP by simply adding more, with
            each separated by a space.  We'll add .phtml to demonstrate.

              AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml

            It's also common to setup the .phps extension to show highlighted PHP
            source, this can be done with:

        16. Use your normal procedure for starting the Apache server, e.g.:

              /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start

Quandary:
        However, in several places in different manuals and help text, I
        am given the warning that if I add a module to conf by hand I
        can no longer use my HTTP Configuration gui.  Nor are the 'help'
        or other manuals clear on how I am to enter the module in the
        gui (under which tab) or where to put the code in /httpd/conf if
        I do it by hand.  Should I add points 15. & 16. above?  If so,
        where?

Or, do I have the whole thing mixed up and wrong?

--
Regards Bill