Re: New Dell Inspiron 9400: From Vista to Fedora/Vista.

On 5/8/07, stan <stanl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:18:49 -0400
"Nat Gross" <nat101l@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/7/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 20:40 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> > > And....I just realized that the FC6 DVD is not bootable????
> >
> > No, that's not true.  The FC6 DVD is bootable.  The only gotcha is
> > that on 32-bit machines, both the CD and DVD will install the 586
> > kernel on 686 machines.  Fix by "yum install kernel-i686"
> >
> > > On my other machines I used yum to go from FC 5 to FC 6, and when
> > > I went from FC 4 To FC 5 I used the image on disk. This is the
> > > first time I actually burned the image to DVD. But... NO BOOT? Do
> > > I need the first FC 6 CD to boot?
> >
> > If you're sure you're using a DVD drive and not a CD drive, then
> > your burn was bad and you should retry it.
> It's a dvd drive, I guess I need to reburn.
> thanks
> nat

Burn it at a very low speed.  I had the same problem when I allowed it
to burn at whatever speed it wanted.  I used 4x on a 16x drive and it
booted fine after that.

Oddly enough I was using the new laptop with native Vista to burn the
FC-6 dvd, and regardless of speed/modes (wasted a few dvd's) it did
NOT boot. BUT, when I used Roxio (installed by Dell on Vista) to burn
it, it worked like a champ.

Thanks
nat