Re: RPM and tarballs

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> If you install software directly from a tarball, rpm will not be
> aware of the installation. How can rpm be made aware of it?

Basically, you need to package the tarball as an rpm and then install
that.

> Is rpm --rebuilddb supposed to always fix the problem?

Nope, that's not what --rebuilddb does.

> Or should I always try to turn the tarball into an rpm file?

Yeah, I would (and do).

> How to do this?

There are more than a few tutorials out there.  Here are two links to
documentation written specifically for Fedora that might provide a
good starting point:

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/

If you poke around in a few SRPMS, you'll likely get the hang of it
fairly quickly.

HTH,

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
    -- Dr. Milton Friedman, Nobel-Prize-winning economist.