Re: My system got crashed!!! Help me out please

On 5/5/07, suman rapolu <suman.neo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

  Today when i tried to upgrade some packages using "Synaptic" package
manager, the window didn't minimized and suddenly not responded. From then
no GUI application(either Gnome or KDE) is getting opened, and giving errors
like "X server is not running". Then i first logged-off from my current user
account. After logging-off it gave me message like "X server is not running
and after correcting errors start the "GDM" server".

      Then i rebooted my system hoping the X server may get initialized at
boot time, so that the problem may disappear. But at booting time it gave
"filesystem is corrupted" and is not booting now. I am using Fedora 5 (linux
2.6.15 kernel). I tried to get a copy of "syslog" messages but the
filesystem is corrupted.

Can anybody help me please, i have some important data init.

Thanks in advance,
Suman.

Run in text mode so that you can force the system to check the file system.

1. At the grub boot menu type the letter "a"
   This will bring up a second grub screen for you to append options
to the kernel
   command line.
2. Type a space and the number three, i.e. " 3"
   This data tell the kernel to boot to runlevel 3 (text mode, X will
not be started).
3. Press the Enter key.
   You should be presented with a login prompt upon completion of boot.
4. Log in as root.
5. Type the following:

   touch /forcefsck
   reboot

The system will reboot and perform a file system check.

Note: After the file system has been checked X may still not work. At
this point you need to  perform a check of installed packages using
rpm.